By Diane Fresquez
Food meets technology, through Proust.
Diane Fresquez lives in Belgium, and for a few years was once a different correspondent for the Wall road Journal.
Read Online or Download A Taste of Molecules: In Search of the Secrets of Flavor PDF
Similar essays books
THE accumulated TRAVELER
For tourists Who wish greater than a Guidebook
Bringing The gathered vacationer alongside in your journey is like having your individual savvy own journey consultant who understands where in detail. This distinctive consultant to 1 of today's preferred vacationer locations combines interesting articles via a large choice of writers, woven all through with the editor's personal quintessential suggestion and opinions-providing in a single package deal an unheard of event of a unprecedented position.
THIS variation ON ISTANBUL FEATURES:
• Seductive, colourful, and in-depth articles that light up the spectacular treasures and monuments of Istanbul, from the Grand Bazaar to the Sultans' palaces; the delights of Turkish food; the wealthy festival of Istanbul's heritage; and the folks and personalities that outline it this present day.
• extra own items that take the reader past the standard vacationer highlights, providing intimate studies on every little thing from the heavenly odor (and style) of Turkish roses to the glitzy nightlife of this urban of “minarets and miniskirts” to the weird excitement of being pummeled to inside an inch of your lifestyles in an old Turkish bath.
• attractive strategies for comparable examining, together with novels, histories, memoirs, and the main worthy guidebooks.
• An A-Z Miscellany of concise and pleasing info to arm you to your trip-on every thing from Alexander the good and Ataturk to Whirling Dervishes and Turkish Wine.
• Interviews, Q & As, and remark from viewers and citizens, starting from the 18th-century society wit girl Mary Wortley Montague to Nobel Prize-winner Orhan Pamuk.
• Spotlights on strange retailers, eating places, lodges, and stories to not be overlooked.
Fran Lebowitz in Public Speaking
A Martin Scorsese Picture
Now an HBO® Documentary Film
The Fran Lebowitz Reader brings jointly in a single quantity, with a brand new preface, bestsellers, Metropolitan existence and Social stories, via an "important slapstick comedian within the vintage tradition" (The manhattan occasions ebook overview) who's "the average successor to Dorothy Parker" (British Vogue). In "elegant, finely honed prose" (The Washington put up publication World), Lebowitz limns the vicissitudes of latest city life—its fads, tendencies, crazes, morals, and models. by means of turns ironic, facetious, deadpan, sarcastic, wry, wisecracking, and waggish, she is usually wickedly unique.
- Evocative Objects: Things We Think With
- Imponderables The Solution To the Mysteries of Everyday Life
- Our Knowledge of God: Essays on Natural and Philosophical Theology
- In Search of Peace Research: Essays by Charles Boasson
- The Mother Tongue: English and How it Got that Way
Extra info for A Taste of Molecules: In Search of the Secrets of Flavor
The test tubes lined up in the refrigerator made me think, not of a library, but of a sperm bank for the procreation of an endless lineage of Belgian beers. Aurore took me back to the meeting room where we had begun our conversation, and soon after she left, Sonia rushed in. She was a petite woman in her forties, her long, blond hair tied up in a ponytail. She didn’t have much time, but took a moment to make an espresso for me, and out of her pocket she pulled a sweet amaretto biscuit wrapped in pink paper to go with it.
Their current project was to understand what happens to the flavor of beer when it’s stored. ” This was a lot for me to take in on a Saturday morning. I did my best to keep up, but I felt a certain sinking feeling, worried that An didn’t realize I was there to learn from scratch, not to match scientific wits with her. I figured I had two choices: quit now, or attempt to fake my way through a question and answer session with her. Instead, I chose a third option: I asked for a drink. If we were going to discuss the flavors of beer, then I needed to taste one.
Although it tasted like banana, it still tasted like beer, and the unfamiliar pairing of the two flavors was, to my mind, a brilliant combo. Banana flavored beer, it seemed, wasn’t that outrageous, when An told me of other brewers who made beers with flavors like chocolate, coconut, and tobacco. I was about to drink again, when suddenly An took the small, stemmed beer glass from my hand, cupped it in both her hands, swirled, tilted her face close to the glass with one abrupt movement, and sniffed.
A Taste of Molecules: In Search of the Secrets of Flavor by Diane Fresquez